Professional Attribute | Leading People
Company | IBM
I am an experienced senior executive and leader, having managed several logistics, manufacturing and support organizations, including leading the “start up” of several new organizations. I have exercised comprehensive personnel responsibility for career development and workforce diversity. I have employed a human resources leadership strategy in managing my workforce to achieve maximum growth, productivity, job satisfaction, and a quality work environment.
As a key executive at IBM, I led and managed the worldwide formalization and deployment of management consulting and IT services resources, processes, methodologies, and go-to-market strategies for supply chain management. As an IBM Certified Business Transformation Consultant, I was tasked as the initial executive to lead and direct multiple organizations within IBM Global Services worldwide to create a new direction in the marketplace.
IBM had suffered significant loss of revenue and market share to supply chain solution competitors. Unfortunately, the company lacked a consistent vision, direction, definition and go-to-market strategy to achieve market share, win new clients, and increase revenues. There was significant disagreement across different groups within IBM as to how to approach defining and building this global collaborative effort. Each geography and functional business unit was operating independently. Information about market forces, competitors’ tactics, client business process, organizational and information issues were not being collected, managed, or shared. Based on my ability and past experiences in developing a global approach, I was selected by IBM senior management to undertake the task of identifying and implementing feasible solutions that would result in the successful execution of a new strategy.
- I hired and managed a core high-performance team of five senior executive business transformation and information technology professionals. This included integration of three Vice Presidents in geographic operating reagions.
- Under my direction, we created an aggressive plan to contact multiple stakeholders both inside and outside IBM (geography executives, solution executives, sales representatives, university professors, professional organizations, current IBM clients and prospective clients) to identify specific wants and needs.
- Using a structured methodology we devised a go-to-market strategy that was easy to understand, easy to implement and would achieve all organizational objectives.
- My team and I created an education program and toured the world to educate all IBM organizations that have an interest in supply chain management. This training took three months and results in over 1500 professionals being trained.
- We also engaged in client meetings with IBM sales and services professionals to lead by example, refine our approach, create market credibility, close new business and focus on very high levels of customer service.
- To ensure high levels of customer satisfaction, I led the integration of IBM’s Customer Value Management consulting methodology into our approch. This approach aligns customer wants and needs with the ability of an organization to deliver more of what the client wants.
- In an unprecedented move, I directed the formation of a standardized approach for collecting and communicating information worldwide across all IBM organizations. This resulted in the creation and management of one of IBM’s largest and most impactful global knowledge networks for the creation and sharing of leading edge ideas on e-business and supply chain. This continuing education network ultimately included over 2500 participants on an online network and weekly telephone conference calls. This approach resulted in adjusting our market approach, winning new business, aligning the organization, and creating market momentum on a worldwide basis.
- I actively participated in client engagements as global supply chain management subject matter expert.
- In support of this overall effort, I wrote several articles for industry publications, led university based research projects and participated in industry professional organizations.
- Grew revenues from $20 million to over $250 million in 4 years with a global organization of over 1000 direct and indirect systems and management executives and consultants.
- Educated and managed over 1500 professionals.
- Won award for creation of global knowledge management network.
If you are interested in scheduling Mr. Dean for a subject matter expert discussion or speaking engagement please send an email with your inquiry.